Zero Waste Spiced Pumpkin Soup Recipe
Don’t be a waster! Check out plant-based chef Francesca Paz's scrumptious Vegan Spiced Pumpkin Soup recipe to use up your leftovers this Halloween...
Pumpkins are a delicious source of vitamins and minerals, providing a range of positive effects on our body. However, 12.8 million perfectly edible pumpkins are predicted to go to waste in the UK this Halloween (source: Hubbub).
Pumpkin is the ideal candidate for a tasty, warming, autumn and winter-worthy soup. Our vegan Pumpkin Soup makes an excellent light lunch or starter, and has proved to be a big hit with #FferalFamily kids and adults alike (preferably in our loungewear for extra cosiness).
A member of the squash family, pumpkins are often thought of as a vegetable - but their seeds (which are great roasted or toasted, by the way) give them fruit status. They are rich in antioxidants which protect our body from disease, including beta-carotene which converts to vitamin A when we eat it, giving a lovely boost to our immune system. They are also a fabulous source of vitamins C and E with some B vitamins, calcium and magnesium thrown in for good measure. This delightful cocktail of goodness means they are great for our skin and eye health too.
◉ VEGAN ◉ GLUTEN FREE
35 MINS SERVES 4-6
- 1kg pumpkin, sliced & diced
- 2 large tomatoes halved
- 2 large white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- Teaspoon of cumin seeds or ground cumin
- Teaspoon of ground turmeric
- Small handful of coriander finely chopped
- Teaspoon of dried chilli
- 750 ml vegetable stock, we used Marigold Vegetable Bouillon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Spinach to top
- Scoop out your pumpkin and separate the seeds.
- Gently saute your chopped onions in 2 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan until soft and translucent.
- Add 1kg chopped pumpkin & a pinch of salt to your saucepan with the onion, stir gently and after 5 minutes add 2 cloves of chopped garlic & sprinkle on spices. Continue to saute for another 5 minutes until everything starts to turn golden.
- Add the tomatoes, coriander & stock to your saucepan and simmer for another 5 minutes until your pumpkin is nice and soft.
- While this is simmering, gently toast your pumpkin seeds in a frying pan with a touch of olive oil.
- Blend your soup with a hand blender, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish each bowl with a small handful of torn spinach leaves and some toasted pumpkin seeds, the heat of soup will blanche & wilt the spinach.
- Serve with a wedge of homemade gluten free bread.
Shop vegan and sustainable clothing here.
More amazing vegan plant based recipes at Moody Mango.